- Inmate #114690
- Gender: Male
- Ethnicity: Caucasian
- Date of Birth: August 26, 1958
- Family Information: Unknown
- A.K.A. Unknown
- Pima County Superior Court Case #CR45587
- Date of Offense: May 1, 1994
- Victim: Rachel Gray, age 4 female
Criminal History Before OffenseEdit
- Aggravated Assault With a Deadly Weapon, 1978
- Follow link for full description: https://theintercept.com/2017/10/23/barry-jones-arizona-death-row-rachel-gray/?comments=1#comments
- On May 1, 1994, Jones was seen hitting Rachel Gray with his hand and elbow in his van while her mother was sleeping. When her mother awoke, she saw that Rachel's head was cut and she was bleeding. Jones would not allow Rachel's mother to take her to the hospital, even though her condition did not improve throughout the night. When she was finally taken to the hospital, she was pronounced dead from a ruptured intestine.
- Judge: James C. Carruth
- Prosecutor: Kathleen Mayer
- Defense Attorney: Sean Bruner
- Trial commenced on April 5, 1995. On April 14, 1995, the jury returned guilty verdicts to the charges of First Degree Murder, Sexual Assault, and three charges of Child Abuse. Total trial length was 10 days. On July 6, 1995, Jones was sentenced to death on the First Degree Murder charge and life plus 35 years for the other charges.
Post Conviction InformationEdit
- In 1997, the Arizona Supreme Court upheld the conviction and sentence on appeal.